North Yorkshire libraries are celebrating a love of learning in family life through creative, informal and fun educational activities that bring different generations of families together to learn with and from each other during the Family Learning Festival, from 14 to 29 October.
The festival is coordinated by national charity the Campaign for Learning as part of its aim to build a culture of learning everywhere.
North Yorkshire County Councillor Greg White, Executive Member for Libraries, said: “Learning as a family can help us to become confident, lifelong learners with all the benefits that brings, from better health to being happier. Family learning supports children in achieving at school and can help us to find new passions and interests and realise our aspirations through further learning.
“Learning is at the heart of what libraries do. They are there throughout your learning journey and are local and accessible to all.”
Events will be held in libraries across North Yorkshire, including:
- Leyburn Community Library, Maps and Pirates for Young Explorers, craft activity session for five to 11-year-olds with artist Wendi New, 2-3pm, Friday, 27 October, £1, advance booking required.
- Hawes Library, Maps and Pirates for Young Explorers, craft activity session for five to 11-year-olds with artist Wendi New, 11am-noon, Friday, 27 October, £1, advance booking required.
- Bedale Community Library, craft and fun with Johliene and Elmer, Tuesday, 24 October, 10.30-11.30am, for ages four to eight, £1, advance booking required.
- Selby Library, Jeepers Creepers, animal handling session on Tuesday, 24 October, 3-4pm, for five to 11-year-olds, £1, advance booking required.
- Ripon Library, Ripon Received exhibition of local studies, Tuesday, 24 October; Lego Masters event, Tuesday, 24 October, 2-3.30pm
- Knaresborough Library, natural art craft session, Monday, 23 October, 2-3.30pm; poetry and puppet event, Tuesday afternoon, 24 October.
- Harrogate Library, Embroiderers’ Guild, family session, Friday afternoon, 21 October; poetry workshop by Jiggery Pokery, Wednesday, 25 October, 2-3.30pm; Poetry Club, Friday, 28 October.
- Skipton Library, Hallowe’en story time, Thursday, 27 October, 2-2.45pm.