Many people are aware of the fact that home appliances can experience electrical problems. Fewer are aware of the fact that faulty appliances can create problems for your home’s electrical system. These issues range from wear and tear to electrical fires. Here are a few ways to determine whether your malfunctioning appliances may be causing electrical damage to your home and what to do if a potential problem has been detected.


Faulty appliances may cause a surge in electrical power on the circuit they’re connected to. This could overload the circuit or damage other appliances on the same circuit.

In most cases, the circuit breaker is tripped. That shuts off power to the appliance and anything else on the same circuit. You probably won’t be able to reset the breaker until you’ve unplugged that appliance. The problem won’t be solved until the faulty appliance is repaired or replaced.

Large appliances from PittsburghAppliance like fridges and freezers can create surges when they shut down since they pull so much power during operation that it feeds back into the circuit when the appliance turns off. When their motors turn off, the power they were using is diverted elsewhere and can cause a surge. If an appliance is malfunctioning, it could start sending bigger surges than it already does. So, if you’re experiencing these kinds of issues, then you might consider either having the appliance fixed or replaced entirely.

The microprocessors in your smart appliances are particularly prone to malfunction when exposed to surges. Microprocessors in smart appliances could be permanently damaged the moment they experience a brief surge, even if it is coming from another appliance on the same circuit. In other cases, the surges cause damage that reduces its operational lifespan. Large surges can destroy a power outlet.

Repeated surges on a circuit could damage connectors in light switches, outlets, and other electrical components, like electronic circuit boards, for instance. This is a common issue with dishwashers and washing machines. If you’re experiencing issues with your circuit board, you can use a Hotpoint repair service or check their website for troubleshooting advice.


Faulty appliances may overload the breaker. In this case, you may end up with a burnout. The burnout damages or even destroys connectors in the outlet. As soon as you discover burned outlets or other signs of electrical problems, call an electrician. If an electrician has been repairing electrical components in your kitchen, issues might be caused by old or faulty appliances. It would be a good idea to call in a serviceman from someone like Nortech TV & Appliance Repair to track down the real culprit, whichever appliance is actually causing the problem.

You could try to install surge protectors on your appliances to minimise the risk of this, but surges could overload your surge protector and cause damage. Furthermore, an appliance that is malfunctioning and generating surges, even if you manage to suppress them, it is still malfunctioning, and the problem will only get worse until the appliance is repaired.


The worst-case scenario is a fire triggered by a spark. This typically occurs when a faulty appliance causes a short circuit that sparks a fire. Frayed wires and loose connections indicate you need to have someone repair the appliance since these conditions could create a short. Even a small spark could start a blaze. To minimise the risk of a fire, make sure you have smoke detectors installed and fully-functioning


While power surges and wiring issues can damage appliances, malfunctioning appliances in and of themselves can damage your home’s electrical systems and surrounding appliances. Don’t ignore burn marks or tripped breakers, because things will only get worse unless repaired. And remember, faulty appliances can cause fatal fires, as was the case with the Grenfell Fire disaster.