North East Connected

Darlington businessman in kitchen fire warning

A Darlington business owner has issued a warning to homeowners after research has revealed that there were 412 domestic kitchen fires within the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service since 2014.

The research, carried out by Derek Lancaster, owner of oven valeting firm Ovenu Darlington, also found that of these fires 288 were cooking related, as a direct result of an oven/cooking appliance

Derek believes the volume of kitchen fires is too high and is warning homeowners to be aware of the dangers associated with kitchen fires and improperly maintained cooking appliances.

He said: “The figures are simply not good enough and more needs to be done to raise awareness of the risks associated with cooking appliances and equipment. Human error is just one of the potential causes of a fire in the kitchen or within the home, but in some cases it may be that ageing appliances need to be serviced or given a thorough clean.”

Ovenu Darlington serves homes and businesses in Darlington, Northallerton, Catterick, Richmond, Newton Aycliffe, Bishop Auckland, Barnard Castle and all villages in between.

Derek added: “Unnecessary fires are a huge strain on public services, especially fire servicemen and women within our local Fire and Rescue Service. Hopefully there will be a significant decrease in the years to come, and we can eliminate these potentially life-threatening kitchen fires.”

For more information about Ovenu Darlington, call 01325 540002 or 01677 427300, email or you can visit

Exit mobile version