Durham City’s Traditional Christmas Festival will be ready to open its doors on Friday 2nd December at 10am, the first of three days when Durham can expect to welcome record numbers of shoppers and visitors into the city centre.
Highlights of the festival include the Craft and Gift Marquee on Palace Green and the Regional Producers’ Market in the Cloisters of Durham Cathedral. There are three further festive markets in the city centre, with Durham Market Hall open each day, including the Sunday when it will be open from 9.30am, and markets in Durham Market Place and Millennium Place.
Colin Wilkes, Managing Director of Durham Markets which organises the festival together with Durham University, says: “The Christmas Festival is Durham’s busiest retail weekend of the year, and a great event for the whole city. Whilst many people visit to tick items off the Christmas shopping list, we know that pubs, restaurants and cafes in the city can expect a great weekend too, and that visitors also appreciate the wide range of festive entertainment provided.
“People tell us each year, the Durham Christmas Festival is the start of Christmas!”
As well as the Markets, other highlights of Durham Christmas Festival include:
- The Children’s Lantern Procession – Saturday 3rd December, 3.45pm (some lanterns are still available at £4 each and can be reserved via www.durhamchristmasfestival.com), ends at the St Nicholas Service at Durham Cathedral
- Lunatricks ‘Fire Eating Show’ on Palace Green- Saturday 3rd December approximately 4.45pmfollowing the St Nicholas Service
- Carols for All in Durham Cathedral – Saturday 3rd December 11am and 2pm, and Sunday 4thDecember 2pm
- Durham Cathedral Choristers at Christmas Concert – Friday 2nd December 2.30pm, £10 per ticket
- Mulled Wine and Mince Pie Tours of Durham Castle – Saturday 3rd December 1.30 and 3.30pm, £10 for adults, £9 for concessions
For a full list of events and entertainment throughout the three day festival, including musicians performing throughout the city centre and special activities for children, please see the Events page of our website, at http://durhamchristmasfestival.com/?p=101