The eight category winners from this year’s RICS North East Awards – which were held in April and are better known as the regional property Oscars – are hoping to put the region on the map by being recognised nationwide for adding real value to the communities that they serve:
- Building Conservation – Maling Exchange at Hoults Yard, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Commercial property – Maling Exchange at Hoults Yard, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Community Benefit – North Durham Academy, Stanley
- Design through Innovation – The Curve, Middlesbrough
- Infrastructure – Emergency Care Centre, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead
- Regeneration – The Curve, Middlesbrough
- Residential property – The Paise, Hexham
- Tourism & Leisure – Crowne Plaza, Newcastle Upon Tyne
The impressive shortlist for the RICS Awards Grand Final is made up of over 70 category winners which triumphed in their regional RICS Awards heat, and will now be pitted against their national peers in the hope of winning the overall UK award in their respective category.
Each regional ‘Project of the Year’ winner will also be in the running for the highest national accolade; the 2016 RICS UK Project of the Year award. Teesside University’s new striking teaching facility – known as The Curve – won the Project of the Year title at the 2016 RICS North East Awards, for transforming what was previously a brownfield site in to a unique landmark with state-of-the-art facilities.
Chair of the judging panel for the RICS North East Awards, Adam Serfontein of the Hanro Group said: “This year was one of the best in terms of the exceptional volume of quality entries we received; the winners truly demonstrate what can be achieved with innovative vision and an excellence in collaboration approach.
“I wish the teams behind these fantastic projects the best of luck in being nationally recognised for the hugely positive impact they are having on their local communities, and ensuring they remain great places to live, work and visit.”
The 2016 RICS Awards Grand Final will take place on 14 October at the London Hilton Park Lane Hotel, and will be hosted by broadcaster and TV personality, Gethin Jones. To book to attend visit: www.rics.org/awards