Has your social security card been lost, stolen, or damaged? Do you want to change some information on your social security cards, like your name or immigration status?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you need to fill out an SS-5 form to obtain a replacement social security card.

Most of the requirements of the form are simple and straightforward. Nonetheless, it’s important that you understand the form completely before you start filling it out. Making even the smallest mistake can be costly in terms of time.

So, let’s explore the Form SS-5, so you can have a clear understanding of what it entails.

When You Can Use Form SS-5?

Form SS-5 is titled “Social Security Administration: Application for A Social Security Card.” It’s the form you should use when applying for a new or replacement social security card. Here are various situations when you’ll need to fill out this form:

  • You need to find a job, but you’ve never had a Social Security number. Maybe your parents never obtained one on your behalf.
  • You’ve changed your name for some reason, like marriage or divorce, and you need an updated card with your new name.
  • Your previous Social Security card has been stolen, gotten lost, or gotten damaged.
  • You have a new citizenship status. For example, you were a legal resident, and now you’ve become a U.S. citizen.
  • Your current card has inaccurate information due to a clerical error like a misspelled name or wrong birthdate.
  • You want to obtain government benefits for an adult dependent who’s under your care. You’ll have to obtain an SSN on their behalf.
  • You want to be able to claim your biological child, stepchild or adopted child as a dependent on your tax return, open an account in their name, and facilitate other activities that require the child to have an SSN.

Where to Find Form SS-5?

There are two ways to get a copy of Replacement Social Security Card SS-5 Form Processing For Lost Social Security Cards:

  • On the Social Security Administration (SSA) website
  • From your local Social Security office

Once you get the copy, you should fill it out with all the required information. Note that the fields you’re required to fill out will depend on the reason for your application. It’s imperative that you provide as much information as possible including:

  • Your birth name
  • Your birth date
  • Your parents’ SSNs
  • Your original SSN

Submitting Form SS-5

Once you’ve completed the form as required, you should take your application to the nearest social security office. However, if you don’t want to waste time in the long lines at the social security office, you can get the form online, fill it out, and then mail it together with the required support documents.

You should expect to receive your new social security card at your mailing address in about 14 days. Make sure you provide the correct mailing address. You don’t want your card to end up at a wrong address.