There are a few must-haves by the home health care agencies of these modern times in order to stay competitive. Keeping up with the recent trends as well as knowing the upcoming trends is mandatory for all home health care providers.
One such important thing in modern health care is predictive analytics. This will help in focusing on the interventions that are necessary for the high-risk patients. This is a critical step that:
- Will reduce the need of hospitalizations or readmissions
- Will managing the length of stay
- Will manage the staffing pressures and workload.
This will ensure that both the care process as well as the care givers are deployed accordingly and more strategically.
Predictive analytics is the futuristic approach that will increase the capability and functionality of the health care givers. Most of the Home health care jobs are adopting this approach and are seriously experimenting with it.
It is for this reason that more and more health care agencies are investing in hiring predictive analytics companies. This not only helps them to make the most of the health care system opportunities but also be ready to take the Medicare Advantage.
Post-acute care coordination
Another important thing that the home health care agencies should focus on is in better coordination of care, especially for those patients that suffer from post-acute care conditions. This will not only ensure that the entire care process is better coordinated but it will also enhance the quality of care and increase the chances of better outcomes. Most importantly, it will help in controlling the health care costs, which ideally is high in most of the cases.
In order to ensure better care coordination there are a few things that all health acre agencies should consider. These are:
- Smooth care transitions are necessary so that it is facilitated by the dedicated home health care team members. This will help in both acute as well as post-acute care conditions by improving communications between the team members and ensuring appropriate treatment is provided to the patients. Most importantly, it will help in better management of the episodes as well as meet the needs of the patients.
- Adverse event prevention is another important consideration to make especially during the period of transition. This will ensure transparency in the care plan and also ensure that all the necessary details and needs that are related to the care process of the patients are included and taken care of.
Apart from that it is required that the health care agencies streamline and automate their referral process. Moreover, a proper KPI tracking will also broaden the scope of health care which will provide easy access to such care processes for the patients and their families.
Outline better strategy
The modern home care agencies must also outline better strategies to manage their taskforce. This strategy should be aimed to deal with their workload as well as the shortfall of the healthcare workers.
For this the health care agencies should make investments according to their scale. They can do this by:
- Providing more primary health care services
- Create more slots for psychiatric residency
- Use more qualified nurse practitioners and home care aides
- Expand training facility and supply of home health care providers.
In some instances, the home care agencies may also be benefitted a lot by involving students in such care providing services in rural and underserved areas.
Ensuring payment adequacy
No agency can survive without receiving their payment for the services provided on time. It is for this reason they must assess the payment structure so that it is consistent and adequate. There are a few ways in which they can ensure that it is positive.
- It must be assured that the beneficiaries get proper access to home health care services.
- The capacity as well as the supply of home care providers must also be followed.
- The volume of such care services must also be increased with better home health utilization.
In addition to these, they must also focus on the Medicare payments that is expected to change in 2020. This will depend on the different episodes as well as hospitalization needs and the marginal profit.
The quality of care provided to the home health patients did not change much over time when it comes to the patients who are hospitalized or receive treatments in emergency room. However, procedures and functionality of the care process and its status should be developed and interpreted cautiously. All these measures will affect agency coding practices.
Future of home health care
To optimize the value of home health care, the care agencies should have a strategic framework developed and follow it to ensure a better future and growth for their agency. In order to ensure that their care services are not disrupted by the payment reforms, they must make necessary changes in their care delivery system and process.
In order to keep up with the economic trend in home health care the agencies must now move to more personalized care services delivered on-demand and directly to the patients.
Best practices to follow
However, the first thing that the care agencies should do is deal with the deficiency of consent among the players and powers that be in modifying the home health benefits. They must follow the best practices to provide the best care to the patients.
- First, everything should be automated and digitalized. This will not only make the tedious process simple but will also help the agencies to be more organized in managing their data and information. It will also ensure that the data is analyzed and used in the best way and save a lot of time that they can use in their care giving process.
- Secondly, use of EHR software solutions, even the most basic ones that will once again save a lot of time and allocate their resources in the best possible way.
In short, it is only technology that will enable the health care agencies to leverage their care services and mobility. This will enable them to stay competitive in 2019 and beyond.