- TV Presenter Vernon Kay shown circuit driving at the wheel of DS 7 CROSSBACK with DS Virgin Racing’s Sam Bird
- Vernon takes to the Rockingham Motor Speedway track in DSV-03 Formula E championship car
- The DS Virgin Racing team even chose to rename the car after his wife Tess Daly for some ‘moral support’ complete with flying Tess livery
Footage of TV Presenter Vernon Kay driving DS Virgin Racing’s all-electric Formula E car has today been released.
Kay, who turned 44 recently and presents coverage of the FIA Formula E Championship on Channel 5, was given the opportunity by leading team DS Virgin Racing at Rockingham’s Motor Speedway.
The 6ft 5in presenter was put through his paces by the team’s star British driver Sam Bird, who currently lies second in the drivers’ standings.
Kay was first shown the ropes in a DS 7 CROSSBACK – PERFORMANCE Line road car, before being let loose in the all-electric single-seater, which can reach speeds of up to 140mph. And for good luck, the team chose to rename the car after his wife Tess Daly for some ‘moral support’.
“I’m one hell of a lucky man,” Vernon commented. “Why? Because the DS Virgin Racing team and their star driver Sam Bird have agreed to let me drive one of their stunning, all-electric Formula E cars. Are they bonkers?”
DS Virgin Racing is one of the founding and leading teams in the electric street racing series, which is currently mid-way through its fourth season. The team lies second in the standings with four rounds remaining. The next race takes place in Berlin on May 19.
2018 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP
DRIVERS’ STANDINGS (AFTER RD 8):
- JEAN ERIC VERGNE 147PTS
- SAM BIRD 116PTS
- FELIX ROSENQVIST 86PTS
- SEBASTIEN BUEMI 70PTS
- LUCAS DI GRASSI 58PTS
TEAMS’ STANDINGS (AFTER RD 7):
- TECHEETAH 188PTS
- DS VIRGIN RACING 133PTS
- MAHINDRA RACING 114PTS
- AUDI SPORT ABT SCHAEFFLER 107PTS
- PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING 88PTS