WORKS to help improve safety at the A690 Stoneygate Junction are getting underway.
The works are beginning from Monday 1 August and scheduled to last for six weeks.
There is a history of collisions at the junction with many happening when drivers take right-hand turns across the A690 dual-carriageway.
Works will end these right turns out of the Newbottle and Warden Law side roads to minimise the risk of further collisions. All other turning movements will remain.
The City Council completed a major public engagement exercise last year with a proposal to fully close the junction and its central reserve. This did not receive support from the wider public and other stakeholders but there was backing for action to improve safety.
Taking these views into account, the council designed the new scheme.
Councillor Michael Mordey, the City Council’s Portfolio Holder for City Services, said: “Over the years there have been too many collisions at this junction and safety is major concern here.
“After hearing what people think and looking at their comments, this design is about reducing the risk of collisions and accidents and making the junction safer. We are removing right turn manoeuvres from the side roads across the dual carriageway.”
There is a 50mph speed limit on this section of the A690 and the council last year also completed works at the junction to improve sight-lines.
During the works there will be traffic management on the site including some periods of lane closures and limited access to the side-roads.
The design has been backed by the City Council’s Coalfield Area Committee. The Coalfield area is one of the city’s five administrative areas along with East, North, Washington and West.
Its Chair is Councillor Anne Lawson and she said: “Sadly, safety has been an issue at the junction for a long time. We all now hope that with these new works the risk of injury or worse is going to be lessened.”