Coast & Country is taking the ‘Gas Safety Week’ message to every primary school child and their family across Redcar & Cleveland.
More than 15,000 pupils in 45 schools will receive an informative leaflet detailing the dangers of carbon monoxide and potentially life-saving advice on how to recognise the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The sixth annual Gas Safety Week (19th – 25th September 2016) encourages organisations from across the UK to work together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
According to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England (November 2013), Accidental (and therefore preventable) carbon monoxide poisoning results in recorded cases of around 40 deaths and 200 hospitalisations each year in England & Wales. Recent figures from the Department of Health indicate that there are 4,000 attendances at accident and emergency departments for treatment for CO poisoning each year in England – which can often lead to lasting neurological damage.
Rob Wilcox, Gas Services Manager said: “Coast & Country takes gas safety very seriously and all properties with a gas appliance are fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.
“Sadly however, despite all landlords having a legal responsibility to repair and maintaingaspipework, flues and appliances in a safecondition using contractors who are on the gas safety register, this is not always the case.
“Our leaflets will help to educate schoolchildren and their families on the dangers of carbon monoxide and raise awareness of the need to be vigilant in a home with gas appliances and have them checked for safety, at least annually.”