The partnership between Newcastle Libraries and the Lit & Phil continues with the seventh year of Books on Tyne: The Newcastle Book Festival. Both venues will stage a remarkably varied programme of events.
One such exciting event brings together education and learning with a reading of The Boy With His Head Stuck In A Book,which uses augmented reality to make the book come alive through Zappar’s AR technology and was created for reluctant readers; in particular boys.
Packed with educational features and curriculum links – this digital pop-up book makes learning fun outside of school.
With kids increasingly turning away from books and toward their tablets and smartphones, Zappar has provided a solution – marrying the two with its latest launch: The Boy With His Head Stuck In A Book. An augmented reality book for children aged 7-11, written by a primary English teacher who noticed that disengaged students were more inclined to pick up a book with a technological element, bridging literature and digital media.
The relatable protagonist is a school boy that hates reading – he gets his head literally stuck in a book when he is dragged to a library and flung into a fantastical world full of characters from classic novels to contemporary fiction. Referencing a multitude of various renowned books (listed below) provides a quick and easy way of inspiring students to explore these texts in more detail, with minimal nagging from parents and teachers.
- The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
- Red Riding Hood – Brothers Grimm
- The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
- The Iron Man – Ted Hughes
- Peter Pan – J. M. Barrie
- Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
- Harry Potter – J. K. Rowling
- Sherlock Holmes – Arthur Conan Doyle
- A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
- Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
- Tarzan of the Apes – Edgar Rice Burroughs
- King Kong – Merian C. Cooper/Delos W. Lovelace
- The Jungle Book – Rudyard Kipling
- Jurassic Park – Michael Crichton
- The Sword in the Stone – T.H. White
Join the authors of The Boy With His Head Stuck In A Book and Earthcry: The Carfax Chronicles on Saturday 25th November from 11am at the City Library. The event it completely free to attend, all you need to do is visit eventbrite to register.