62% of the North East’s businesswomen shine their shoes once a week as 76% of businessmen in the region shun the tradition altogether.
As the weather continues to surprise us with sleet, snow and blue skies it has been revealed that regular polishing will help to protect footwear against the elements, extending a shoe’s life.
The findings come as it’s revealed that 50% of local people judge someone by their shoes when they meet them for the first time.
Wynsors World of Shoes, who commissioned the research are encouraging businessmen and businesswomen to shine their shoes regularly and have teamed up with Cherry Blossom Shoe Care to train an in-store Mr Buff, using Cherry Blossom products, to share tips on protecting shoes in winter weather.
MR BUFF’S TOP TIPS TO WEATHERPROOF YOUR SHOES THIS SPRING:
- Weatherproofing your shoes depends on the material of the shoe – while waxes work on leather shoes, sprays are better for suede or fabric
- Always clean and condition your shoes first before you snow-proof your footwear otherwise you are sealing in dirt
- Use white vinegar to tackle salt stains with a mixture of one cup of cold water and one tablespoon of distilled white vinegar
- Brush grime of your shoes regularly, ideally every day taking note if the shoe’s material is delicate
- Pay extra attention to the seams as well as the shoe material itself as this is where dirt can build
- Spray gently when applying any spray as you don’t want to cover the shoes with product – ideally at least eight inches away from the shoe
Vicky Wilkinson, store manager at Wynsors World of Shoes Stockton, said; “I am thrilled to be able to share advice on how to care for shoes in the winter weather and educate our customers on how to really look after a pair of shoes to get the longest life possible out of them.
“Shining your shoes seems to be a lost art so it’s great that we can share easy top tips on how to keep all shoe styles looking their best.”
Nick West, National Account Manager at Cherry Blossom Shoe Care, said; “As the UK’s first and now only shoe polish manufacturer we’ve got a lot of knowledge to share and were thrilled when Wynsors approached us with the aim of ensuring that all shoes not only shine but are protected against the winter elements through a new role of ‘Mr Buff’.
“A good pair of shoes can last for years when looked after correctly, so a small investment in shoe care can really pay off in the long run.”
For more information about Wynsors, please visit: www.wynsors.com/our-story