At the Civic Building of the Year Awards, Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council also won the category for Regeneration alongside The Environment Agency for their work on the Redcar seafront, Flood Alleviation and Landscaping Scheme which saw the creation of the new promenade.
These add to a list of award successes for the council in relation to its recent regeneration schemes:
Redcar & Cleveland Leisure and Community Heart
- RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) Project won regionally and national commendation award;
- Civic Trust Award – the project received a national commendation;
- Northern Region Considerate Constructors Scheme – Gold 2015, Silver award 2014;
- Constructing Excellence North East – regional winners of the Building of the Year award May 2015;
- Constructing Excellence National Awards 2015 – nominated for Project of Year.
Redcar Flood Alleviation Scheme & Enhanced Landscaping Scheme
- North East CECA (Civil Engineering Contractors association) November 2014, winning Project of the Year.
Cllr Dale Quigley, cabinet member for economic growth at Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council said:
“We are delighted that the Heart building and the rejuvenated seafront are being recognised on this scale.
“Since the Heart opened, thousands of local people have used the excellent facilities that are available which include the swimming pool and gym, and it has become an integral part of the community.
“This latest award is fantastic news for the area and is a great reflection of the hard work that has gone into regenerating the borough.”