Have you ever heard about Personal Injury Law? If not, then this article is for you. To make it simple, personal injury law helps an injured or an affected person to get a legal remedy for the damages caused via a civil court. Read further to know more about the personal injury law and its importance.
Personal Injury Law
The key purpose of the personal injury law is to help the injured person to get a reasonable amount of compensation. To make this process easier, there are several personal injury lawyers available out there, who can help you to get your compensation through formal or informal proceedings.
Common Terms in Personal Injury Case
A common fact is that every personal injury case is unique, and certain common terms are related to it. Following are some of the terms related to a personal injury case:
- Plaintiff – A person or a group of people who brings the lawsuit.
- Complaint – A plaintiff or the affected person can initiate a lawsuit by complaining.
- Prayer for Relief – A complaint consist of prayer for relief, means that it includes information related to how much money a plaintiff wants.
- Defendant–A defendant is a person who was the reason behind the incident.
- Answer – A defendant must file a former answer to the complaint that was filed by the plaintiff.
Terms Related to Nature and Validity of the Injury Case
- The statute of Limitations – It is the period within which one has to file the suit that claims the damages.
- Torts and Intentional Torts – A wrongful act that is caused without any intentions is referred to as torts. Example: Negligence, trespass, and wrongful death. A wrongful act that is committed with an intention or a purpose is called as intentional torts. Example: Murder and manslaughter.
- Negligence – It is defined as a tort that is caused as a result of the carelessness of the defendant.
- Damages – It includes the injuries or the damages that a plaintiff is seeking to recover from.
How to File a Personal Injury Claim?
If you’re not familiar with legal terms, then it can be hard to file a personal injury claim. For that, you can seek the help of a lawyer who can help you with the legal proceedings.
Here are a few tips that would help you to file a personal injury case:
- Check whether the insurance policy would cover the injuries and damages – Check whether the driver who caused the accident has an insurance policy or not. You can claim your liability through the insurance coverage.
- Decide whether to go for a personal injury lawyer or not – If you’re familiar with legal terms, you can negotiate and get your compensation. If you’re not aware of the legal proceedings, then you can go for a lawyer or an attorney to advocate on behalf of you.
- Decide whether to go for a legal proceeding or not – Most of the cases get resolved even before going for a court proceeding or a trial. Then, at times, certain cases may demand a filing of a lawsuit.
Thus, it is important to know the seriousness of the incident before you go for a legal filing.