Out of those surveyed in the city, almost half fear having their card declined at the supermarket while a fifth of people afraid their card to decline on a date.
• Over a third of Newcastle residents forgotten their pin number when using a debit/card
• A quarter of people in Newcastle fear a work colleague witnessing their financial troubles
• Nearly a third of Newcastle residents have had their card declined
Research shows 48% of people in the UK have forgotten their pin, or had their card locked.
A quarter of men dread the embarrassment of their date having to rescue them by settling the bill, whilst almost a third of women firmly stated that they are anxious about work colleagues or clients discovering their financial difficulties.
• 1 in 3 Pensioners feel vulnerable when their card is declined in front of strangers
• Young People are the worst at knowing what money they have in the bank with 4 in 10 admitting to having card declined
• A quarter of Young Adults hate to admit to parents that they struggle financially
Commenting on the results, Clare McCullagh, Managing Director of Heavenly Online Accountants, said:
“People are incredibly busy, so managing their finances isn’t always at the front of their mind. However, the cards that are getting declined are worrying, because they show that people are spending beyond their means.”
“Some financial issues are just silly mistakes, but we feel judged by others when they happen. Mistakes are easily made though, and people have embarrassing hiccups even when they are in the best financial shape.”
For more information on the survey and to see how Newcastle compared to the UK, head to our blog: http://