RESIDENTS living in the Lustrum Beck area of Stockton are invited to a drop-in session to find out about the next stage of a flood defence scheme, which will include the replacement of Londonderry Bridge.
Between 2pm and 7pm on Wednesday 5 August members of the public can attend the Newtown Resource Centre on Durham Road to hear details about the plans.
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council and the Environment Agency are preparing to start working on the next elements of the flood defence scheme in October.
This latest flood defence work will provide further protection to the 162 properties in the Lustrum Beck area worst affected by the Autumn 2012 floods and includes the demolition and replacement of Londonderry Bridge.
In order to replace Londonderry Bridge, Durham Road, which runs across it, will need to close for approximately six months. Diversion routes will be clearly signed throughout and the Council is working with bus operators to ensure services from the Newtown and Primrose Hill area into Stockton Town Centre are maintained.
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for the Environment, Councillor Mike Smith, said: “Properties in this area have been affected by flooding for more than ten years and that’s why the Council worked tirelessly with the Environment Agency to secure the funding needed to build the flood defences.
“Whilst we understand that the removal and replacement of Londonderry Bridge will inconvenience residents and commuters who use Durham Road to get into Stockton Town Centre, the six months of disruption are more than outweighed by the fact that flooding in the area will be significantly reduced.
“I would encourage anyone living close to Lustrum Beck to come along to the drop-in so they can find out in depth information about the scheme.”
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Transport, Councillor David Rose, added: “We appreciate that the diversions will lead to more traffic than usual using nearby streets and that there will need to be some diversions to the bus services, but the replacement of Londonderry Bridge is an absolutely vital element of the flood defence scheme. It will help prevent a repeat of the devastating flood damage we saw in 2012 so I would please ask neighbouring residents and businesses to bear with us while the works take place.”
The flood defence work will include:
- Completely replacing Londonderry Bridge to allow water to pass more rapidly and easily
- Replacing flood walls and embankments at Bedford Street and Newtown to increase the level of flood protection
- Replacing the existing debris screen at Primrose Hill with an innovative lifting screen that will significantly reduce the risk of blockages
- The creation of a new green space to help retain surface water in the Browns Bridge area.
The £3 million works are funded by Flood Defence Grant in Aid, North East local levy and Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council.
Environment Agency Project Manager, Ted Thomas, said: “Work will start in October on further elements of the Lustrum Beck scheme, which will all tie in with the flood wall at Bishopton Road which was completed in December last year.
“We appreciate there will be some inconvenience to residents throughout the work and we’ll be working with Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council to keep disruption to a minimum, and this short term disruption will result in long term benefits for the community.
“I’d encourage people to attend the drop-in event to find out more about the scheme and ensure their questions are answered.”
The flood defence works are due to start in October and are expected to take approximately six months to complete.