Chair of the SSI Task Force and Chief Executive of Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, Amanda Skelton said:
“I’d like to thank everyone who visited and took part in the Jobs fair. The support and enthusiasm from everyone involved has been tremendous. We had 53 employers represented and they were impressed by the strong work ethic, skills and eagerness to work of the people who came along to the event. We would like to pay tribute to the commitment, professionalism and dignity shown by the SSI staff during a very challenging time.
“We’ve already had a lot of interest from other businesses in the area in future events and we’re still keen to hear from employers who have vacancies as this will be an ongoing process. Organisation of the next events will start urgently and we will confirm dates for more Jobs and Skills Fairs very soon.”
Members of the Task Force are representing the area at the UK Steel Summit, organised by the Government, being held in Rotherham on Friday 16th October. Those attending the summit are:
– Anna Turley, MP for Redcar
– Tom Blenkinsop, MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland and Chair of All Party Parliamentary Group on steel
– Amanda Skelton, Chair of the SSI Task Force and Chief Executive of Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council
– Paul Booth, Chair, Tees Valley Unlimited
The Task Force remains committed to providing a range of ongoing help and advice to those affected by the closure of SSI. Support available includes:
· A dedicated hub, located at Redcar and Cleveland College, continues to offer one to one support in the longer term in relation to benefits, pensions, debt advice, assistance back to work or starting a new business, training and development, and wellbeing.
· Jobcentre Plus has also appointments available for general support and access to the national careers service people can call 0191 382 1003 between 9am and 4pm Monday toFriday to book.
· A Supply Chain event organised by the Teesside Engineering Network (TEN) is being held on Friday 23rd October at Redcar and Cleveland Leisure and Community Heart. Places must be booked in advance and attendance can be registered at http://teesside-engineering-
· The National Business Support Helpline 0300 456 3565 will offer fast track information, guidance and support to those thinking of starting their own business or support for those with a business affected by the SSI closure.
· A webpage has been set up for people with information and advice at www.redcar-cleveland.gov.uk/