In recent years, electricity suppliers have been offering green offers to promote the development of renewable energies.
These offers make it possible to ensure that the volume of electricity that is consumed is equal to a volume of renewable electricity injected into the network.
But How Does It Work And Who Are These New Suppliers?
Here we show you how the renewable energy support mechanism works and the list of current green electricity offers.
A green electricity offer is to provide Guarantees of Origin with distributed electricity.
The Guarantee of Origin is the electronic document which makes it possible to trace the origin of its electricity. By using it, you consume electricity of renewable origin. Indeed, without an effective system of traceability, it is impossible to know the source of the electricity consumed, it is mixed in the electricity network to which we are all connected.
By obtaining these Guarantees of Origin, the consumer manages to pay for electricity for its environmental quality. This allows renewable energies to be more profitable and therefore producers to invest in them at the expense of fossil and nuclear energy.
The State, through Guarantees of Origin, controls green electricity suppliers to ensure that their offers are indeed of interest to the environment. electricians in columbia sc have a great deal of offers for gree electricity.
An electricity supplier is therefore obliged to use as many Guarantees of Origin as electricity that it charges if it makes the promise to provide green electricity. As a reminder, a supplier is only an intermediary between the electricity grid and the consumer. It does not physically provide electricity but offers commercial offers. We should rather call it “electricity marketer.”
In conclusion, it is only by obtaining Guarantees of Origin that you have the assurance of consuming green electricity. Your environmental footprint becomes neutral in CO 2 and nuclear waste, and you support the development of renewable energies.
But Then What Is The Difference Between The Multiple Offers Of Green Electricity?
Guarantees of Origin can be chosen according to their quality. So green electricity offers are not all equal. Here’s what to understand:
- The more the supplier is demanding on the Guarantees of Origin that he offers, the more his green electricity supply is of quality.
- A supplier may offer Guarantees of Origin from the means of production of high environmental quality and, moreover, located in Scotland. In this case, the consumer’s approach has a strong impact. For example, it supports the development and maintenance of small hydroelectric, wind or photovoltaic plants in Scotland. The supplier will have made the financial effort to obtain at a substantial cost the Guarantees of Origin of these producers.
- Some offers also include an important quality by ensuring that the means of production supported use of renewable energy in the UK. These offers still include larger hydroelectric plants.
- Finally, some green electricity offers use Guarantees of Origin from other European countries. In this case, the supplier will have made a minimum effort to ensure the renewable origin of the electricity. Guarantees of Origin are then cheaper to obtain for the electricity supplier.
Some suppliers explain that they stand out with erroneous reasons. So it is important to compare business electricity suppliers before subscription.
They say they are greener than others because they buy electricity directly from the renewable electricity producer. This is the argument of the “direct contract.” This argument is false for the following reasons:
- A direct contract between a producer and a supplier does not affect physical delivery to a consumer.
- An electricity supplier is only a commercial intermediary between the wholesale electricity market and the consumer. It does not provide anything in reality. The distribution network ensures that you can use electricity. The supplier, therefore, has no means of action on your physical consumption of electricity.
- Electricity generation from renewable energies is random and can not meet the needs of a supplier’s customers. A direct contract is therefore useless.
- Hydraulic, wind and photovoltaic energies are difficult to control. For the supplier, it is therefore impossible to match the production curve of plants using renewable energies with the consumption needs of its customers. As a result, he is forced to resell the randomly generated electricity he bought directly from a producer. He will then have to buy the electricity on the stock exchange so that it matches the consumption profile of its customers.
- A supplier necessarily goes through the electricity exchange. A direct contract is therefore useless from an environmental point of view. The producer can also sell his electricity on the stock exchange since the supplier must pass through it.
A Direct Contract Brings Nothing More To The Producer
To tell a producer that buying electricity and Guarantees of Origin with a direct contract is of more interest to him and the development of renewable energies is false. That is to say that 2 + 1 is not equal to 3. What is important for the producer is the price at which he sells electricity and the price at which he sells his Guarantees of Origin. Regarding the price of electricity, it is dependent on the evolution of the price of electricity on the market. For the Guarantee of Origin, it can hope for a more or less significant remuneration depending on the environmental quality of the electricity it produces.
So pay attention to the discourses that play on the difficulty of the consumer to understand how the electricity market works.