Originally launched in 1996, with more than 1.5 million units already produced, the third-generation Citroën Berlingo Light Commercial Vehicle has been unveiled today – named New Citroën Berlingo Van. The practical, efficient and comfortable new model features large load volumes, easy access and numerous in-cabin options, including Extenso® Cab and Crew Van versions. With technologies new to the LCV segment, such as an Overload Indicator – the very first application of this technology in a vehicle of this type – the high-tech model is equipped with 20 driver assistance systems and four connectivity technologies. The range boasts the latest-generation BlueHDi 1.5 diesel and PureTech 1.2 petrol engines, and Citroën’s new EAT8 automatic gearbox. Available in two sizes M and XL, UK order books will open in the autumn of 2018.
With New Berlingo (passenger car) already scheduled to arrive in UK dealerships over the coming months, Citroën has now unveiled New Berlingo Van, the third-generation LCV version of Berlingo, aimed at a wide range of fleet, business and professional users.
The Citroën brand’s leading position in the commercial vehicle market is underpinned by the success of its legendary 2CV, C15 and previous Berlingo LCV models.
Citroën was the first brand to introduce a diesel powered LCV, the first to launch a van with an integrated load area and the first to launch an LCV model with three seats in the cabin. Building on this strong heritage, New Citroën Berlingo Van marks the renewal of a best-seller.
A benchmark model for business professionals for many years, the Citroën Berlingo LCV has been a key player in its segment with important updates for each generation of the vehicle. Since its initial launch, Citroën has produced over 1.5 million Berlingos worldwide. Overall, Citroën achieved 9.7% share in 2017 in the commercial vehicle market in Europe, taking third place in the rankings with almost 73,000 units sold – with the current Berlingo continuing as the brand’s top-selling LCV. In fact, the current Berlingo accounted for 40% of Citroën’s total LCV registrations in the first quarter of 2018. Citroën intends to continue this success story with this third-generation version.
AN ICONIC MODEL WITH AN ASSERTIVE AND MODERN PERSONALITY
Having invented the first van with an integrated load area, Citroën is continuing its success story with a vehicle that is more modern than ever. New Berlingo Van possesses a unique body design and strong styling for all professions and trades.
- The new model has a robust and reinforced character. The body styling has changed, with a more forward set windscreen, a higher and shorter front end and a shorter front overhang, achieved notably through the adoption of the EMP2 platform.
- The design at the front ensures extra protection and is consistent with the Citroën brand identity.
- The new van boasts flowing body styling with a tough and functional appearance at the rear.
- The interior, specifically designed for a range of professional users, adds practicality. The modern dashboard layout is fully equipped with numerous useful in-vehicle technologies.
‘BESPOKE’ COMFORT: A VAN DESIGNED FOR ALL PURPOSES
‘Inspired By Pro’, the brand signature dedicated to Citroën’s Light Commercial Vehicles, clearly indicates that New Citroën Berlingo Van is the ideal partner for all professional businesses and trades.
- New Berlingo Van offers a bespoke solution to a broad range of requirements with two sizes, M and XL, measuring 4.40m and 4.75m long respectively.
- Two dedicated versions – ‘Worker’ and ‘Driver’ – are available to suit different customer needs. The versions vary in terms of specification, with differing ground clearance, engine protection and equipment levels.
- The Extenso® Cab offers class leading versatility and modularity, seating three people in row one. The Crew Van allows up to five people to travel in rows one and two.
- New Berlingo Van features the most intelligent design to simplify everyday life, with excellent access via 180° opening rear doors. New Berlingo Van also features sliding doors on both sides of the vehicle, useful storage spaces and a record payload of up to 1,000kg. The new van maintains the same width between the rear wheel arches (1.23m) for the easy loading of euro pallets.
COMFORT IN A VAN WITH THE BEST CONTEMPORARY FEATURES
New Berlingo Van holds its own against many passenger cars with exceptional ride comfort and optimal safety, through:
- Suspension settings that benefit from Citroën’s know-how for peerless comfort.
- The use of the EMP2 platform at the front of the vehicle, for improved handling and the latest-generation technologies.
- 20 driver assistance systems that make everyday life easier. Features include an Overload Indicator and a Surround Rear Vision system, both are firsts in the LCV segment. Colour Head-up Display, Automatic Electronic Parking Brake, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop Function and Active Safety Brake are available, along with four connectivity technologies, including Citroën Connect Nav and Wireless Smartphone Charging.
- Latest-generation engines that are strong on performance and efficiency: BlueHDi 1.5 diesel, PureTech 1.2 petrol, and the introduction of the EAT8 automatic gearbox.
01 – AN ICONIC MODEL WITH AN ASSERTIVE AND MODERN PERSONALITY
CITROËN: THE INVENTOR OF THE INTEGRATED LOAD AREA
Citroën’s story in the small van segment started at the beginning of the 20th Century. Berlingo comes from a long line of models that began in 1928 with the C4 Fourgon with its all-steel bodywork and two hinged rear doors. Then came the famous 2CV Van in the 1950s – a full LCV version of the legendary 2CV. The compact van started life with all the advantages of a practical and economical vehicle, and would go on to become one of the greatest successes of its time. The pioneering model – now a collector’s item around the world – will go down in history as the first mass-produced front wheel drive van. Produced from March 1951 to March 1978 with 1,246,335 units sold, it stands as a truly iconic model.
2CV Van was replaced by Acadiane in 1978. The van was restyled and gained the front end of the Dyane. In total, 235,393 Acadiane units were produced over nine years.
The real breakthrough occurred in the 1980s with a new model, Citroën C15. After the small, two-cylinder engines of the 2CV and Acadiane, the new model launched in 1984 with a water-cooled four-cylinder powerplant. Derived from the Visa (launched in 1978), the famed model, perceived as a true business tool, went on to enjoy a long career. It was produced until 2006, some ten years after the launch of the original Berlingo. The C15’s reputation for toughness and solidity made it a leading model in its segment. Sales were boosted further by the range of diesel engines on offer. C15 alone sold over 1.18 million units, produced over a 22-year period.
The next great revolution, at the end of the 20th Century, was Berlingo. The first-generation model, launched in July 1996 and once again disrupted the segment by providing more distinction and comfort. Berlingo innovated with unique body styling and an entirely integrated load area. The model’s name would, over the years, become synonymous with the segment.
Berlingo was renewed in May 2008. The second-generation model retained the same comfort and features as many saloon cars of the time, as well as more prestige for business customers.
A facelifted Berlingo was revealed in the spring of 2015 at the Geneva Motor Show.
NEW, EXPRESSIVE AND MODERN DESIGN
The design of the Citroën Berlingo has changed substantially since 1996, but today it moves into a new era. In terms of appearance, New Berlingo Van makes a true generational leap and moves upmarket. Robust and protective, the model gains modern and vivacious exterior styling with flowing lines that are free from aggression, and assumes a strong character and assertive personality through its well-balanced proportions.
Alexandre Malval (Citroën’s Design Director) and his team have created an expressive and distinctively Citroën front end with a short and high bonnet for a commanding view of the road. The design is underscored by wide headlight units that confirm the model’s kinship with the larger Citroën Dispatch. The front end also differs significantly from that of the New Berlingo passenger car.
The styling along the sides focuses on protection and maintains an impeccable balance, whatever the vehicle length. The eye is drawn to the large practical sliding side doors, which allow easy access to the load area. At the rear, the van keeps its functional appearance and ‘van spirit’ with vertical lights and the famous Berlingo badge.
Inside, the cabin has been completely redesigned. The goals of the Citroën Style team were simple: in a segment governed by expectations of practicality, they wanted to create the best possible combination in terms of design and functionality for the model’s new customers. Inspired by the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme, New Berlingo Van gains a modern and uncluttered dashboard, ergonomically designed with an emphatic horizontal architecture.
The driver benefits from a modern instrument panel, a multi-function steering wheel and a Colour Head-up Display. New Berlingo Van also features smart new materials on the dashboard, central console, doors and seats. The materials and trims are intended to be robust and suitable for business use. The cabin features a hardwearing TPO floor covering that can be cleaned quickly and easily. New Berlingo Van is also available with optional plywood lining (floor and side panels), for enhanced load area protection.
02 – ‘BESPOKE’ COMFORT: A VAN DESIGNED FOR ALL PURPOSES
An ideal partner for everyday business life, New Berlingo Van targets a broad range of professions and provides a solution adapted to their business needs, with simplified cabin and loading access.
‘INSPIRED BY PRO’
Directly related to the Citroën brand signature ‘Inspired By You’, the new brand signature for the world of business – ‘Inspired By Pro’ – is dedicated to Citroën’s Light Commercial Vehicles. It targets self-employed tradespeople, shopkeepers, local authorities and SMEs working in a variety of sectors, including construction, deliveries, facilities and the emergency services. New Citroën Berlingo Van responds to the needs of each of its customers by bringing them a complete range adapted to their requirements. New Berlingo Van is the ‘bespoke’ Light Commercial Vehicle that places a premium on the driver in terms of well-being and practicality, and adapts ideally to their individual profession.
New Citroën Berlingo Van offers versatility and modularity with different load areas, cabin designs and configurations, alongside a multitude of storage spaces. It also boasts record load volumes with size M versions, and the best architectural efficiency (ratio of usable volume/exterior dimensions) in size XL.
TWO SIZES AVAILABLE
As with the passenger car version, New Citroën Berlingo Van is available in two sizes, the M version measuring 4.40m long with a 2.78m wheelbase, and an XL version measuring 4.75m long with a 2.97m wheelbase. The XL model is well proportioned in terms of wheelbase and rear overhang.
TWO USEFUL CABIN LAYOUTS
Designed for professionals who travel together, the Extenso® Cab can transport three people in the front (row one), with the central seat able to transform into a mobile office with a pivoting writing table. The impressively modular Extenso® Cab adapts to all situations and features a folding side passenger seat providing optimal load length and increasing load volume from 3.3m3 to 3.8m3 in size M, and 3.9m3 to 4.4m3 in size XL. Both versions are equipped with a range of storage spaces around the cabin to keep documents and tools within handy reach.
The modular Crew Van is intended for businesses that need to accommodate up to five people (two in row one, three in row two), and to carry loads as well. It is available as an XL version only and does not require conversion as it is available directly from the manufacturer. This version of New Berlingo Van gains extra modularity and versatility. It offers unique comfort with the same competitive knee room in row two as the New Berlingo passenger car. It is also perfect for transporting longer loads. The second row of seats, front passenger seat and adjustable mesh bulkhead (with access flap) can be repositioned to accommodate long items.
TWO DEDICATED VERSIONS: ‘WORKER’ AND ‘DRIVER’
The highly adaptable New Citroën Berlingo Van offers two dedicated versions, each one with specific features for its professional customers.
The ‘Worker’ versions target businesses that transport equipment and people – in the construction industry for example. New Berlingo Van in ‘Worker’ trim has three front seats, raised ground clearance (+30mm), a protective plate under the engine and enhanced traction thanks to Grip Control® with Hill Descent Assist. The robust model stands apart with its large wheels (690mm) with Mud and Snow tyres, extra payload of up to 1,000kg and a Loading Pack with enhanced LED lighting in the load area, Overload Indicator, 12V and 220V power sockets and mid-height load securing rings.
The ‘Driver’ versions are for companies, and their employees, who need to make longer trips or numerous deliveries in urban areas. For day to day efficiency, this version stands out through its ride comfort, meticulous acoustics and driver assistance systems. It is available with acoustic enhancements, dual zone air conditioning, seats with lumbar adjustment, automatic headlights and windscreen wipers, Cruise Control/Speed Limiter, Automatic Electronic Parking Brake, 8-inch colour touchscreen with Citroën Connect Nav and DAB radio, and the Surround Rear Vision system.
EASIER LOADING ACCESS
New Berlingo Van is available in a variety of configurations, with one or two sliding side doors. The sliding doors provide optimised opening width for easier loading and unloading, regardless of where the vehicle is parked.
At the rear the van is equipped, as standard, with 60/40 split unglazed rear doors, which open to 180°. To meet the needs of certain businesses, New Berlingo Van can also be equipped with optional glazed rear doors (60/40, opening up to 180°), with heating and a wiper on the larger door.
NUMEROUS STORAGE SPACES WITHIN EASY REACH
Designed from the start with interior comfort in mind, New Berlingo Van scores highly for practicality. The vehicle is equipped with a plethora of ingenious storage spaces at the front for everyday objects, from the smallest (pens and coins) to the largest (15-inch laptops and folders). There are 113-litres of storage in the compartments overall. This includes a drawer under the driver’s seat, the ‘Top Box’ glove box (made possible by the ‘Airbag in Roof’ system), a lower glove box, an overhead storage unit, various small storage areas, large door bins and up to four cupholders. The vehicle is also home to two USB sockets, two 12V sockets and one 220V socket.
BENCHMARK LOAD CAPACITY
Thanks to its load space design – a development of the current platform – New Berlingo Van provides a record load capacity. This also allows for a larger payload and retains its width between the wheel arches (1.23m) in order to easily load up to two euro pallets. New Berlingo Van offers payloads from 650kg to 1,000kg.
To better respond to the needs of LCV customers, New Berlingo Van is equipped with an innovative Overload Indicator – the very first application of this technology in any segment by a van manufacturer. It informs the user when they approach, or exceed, the authorised weight limit. The maximum braked towing weight for the model is 1,500kg.
03 – COMFORT IN A VAN WITH THE BEST CONTEMPORARY FEATURES
With its new modular platform, New Berlingo Van benefits from optimised architecture for more practicality, comfort and safety. It is fitted with modern and intelligent driver assistance systems and connectivity technologies with the latest-generation engines.
OPTIMISED RIDE COMFORT
Produced at the PSA Group’s Vigo site in Spain, New Citroën Berlingo Van is built on a new platform for more agility, spaciousness and practicality, while offering classic Citroën suspension settings.
New Citroën Berlingo Van possesses an efficient architecture providing even more functionality. The new model’s modular platform is based on the EMP2 architecture at the front and the current Berlingo platform at the rear. The EMP2 platform reduces weight, improves handling with its electric power steering and delivers a tight turning circle that is ideal for manoeuvres in town.
Faithful to the brand’s DNA, and the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme, New Citroën Berlingo Van draws on all of Citroën’s expertise in suspension settings and comfort. Making each journey a moment of serenity for the driver and any passengers. It filters out road imperfections in all conditions. The unrivalled on-road comfort of New Berlingo Van results from a comfortable driving position, cushioned seats (with height adjustment, lumbar adjustment and individual armrests), suspension comfort and soundproofing, with top-level acoustic treatment.
For ideal driving comfort in all circumstances, New Berlingo Van is equipped with the Magic Wash® function that maintains visibility during window washing and halves the amount of liquid required.
INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES THAT MAKE LIFE EASIER
New Citroën Berlingo Van is functional and practical, but also extremely reassuring. Thanks to the use of the EMP2 platform, the new model is packed with useful technologies that seek to bring professionals a safer and more serene drive with a number of significant innovations.
20 DRIVER ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS
New to all LCV segments:
- Overload Indicator – This innovative built-in function informs the driver when the maximum authorised payload is exceeded, be it overall maximum laden weight or the weight on each axle (front and rear). The objective is threefold: to prevent on-road risks stemming from tyre blowout or premature wear, to meet customer expectations in terms of safety, and to avoid the risk of a fine for exceeding the load limit. The measurement of the load weight is triggered in two ways: automatically, when the engine is started, or manually, when parked, by pushing the button located in the load area. The system remains active for five minutes.
- Surround Rear Vision – This system enhances visibility around vehicles specified with unglazed rear doors and is particularly useful during manoeuvres in tight areas (warehouses, building sites and urban traffic). Images from two cameras (located at the base of the passenger-side door mirror and at the top of the rear doors), are displayed on a 5-inch colour screen that replaces the traditional rear-view mirror. The system has three main functions:
- Side Passenger View: The driver can see the passenger side of the vehicle, by pushing a button on the indicator stalk.
- Rear View Monitoring: Provides an image from the rear of the vehicle when travelling forward. This effectively replaces the rear-view mirror.
- Reversing Camera: Displays the area behind the vehicle when in reverse gear. In forward gear, the default is Rear View Monitoring.
Competitive in the Berlingo segment:
- Colour Head-up Display: A system that provides the driver with useful driving information directly in their field of view. Projected in colour on a retractable head-up screen, this information (speed, Cruise Control/Speed Limiter etc.), is constantly available to the driver without them having to look away from the road.
- Automatic Electronic Parking Brake: A feature that automatically activates when the engine is switched off, automatically releases when the vehicle moves forward, and can be used manually by pulling on the control paddle.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (with Stop Function on EAT8 auto): This system provides two functions using the on board multi-function camera: automatically maintaining vehicle speed consistent with the driver’s setting and automatically adjusting the distance from the vehicle in front. The system detects a vehicle driving in front of the van that is travelling in the same direction. It automatically adjusts the vehicle speed to that of the vehicle in front, using the engine and the braking system to maintain a constant distance:
- If the vehicle in front is moving more slowly, the system can slow the vehicle down to 19mph (30km/h) with a manual gearbox and can bring the vehicle to a complete halt with the EAT8 automatic gearbox.
- If the vehicle in front speeds up or changes lane, the cruise control system gradually accelerates to return to the set speed.
- If the driver activates the indicator to overtake a slower vehicle, the system allows the vehicle to temporarily move closer to the vehicle in front to help them overtake, without exceeding the set speed.
- Active Lane Departure Warning System: This system uses the on board camera to detect the accidental crossing of road markings when the indicator has not been activated. Whenever the system identifies a risk of unintentional crossing, the steering gradually turns in the opposite direction to keep the vehicle in its initial lane. An indicator light flashes at the same time. If the driver wishes to maintain the vehicle’s trajectory, they can override the correction by holding the steering wheel firmly (for example, during avoidance manoeuvres). The correction is interrupted when the indicators are activated and the system functions at speeds above 40mph (65 km/h).
- Driver Attention Alert: Alerts drivers in the event of decreased vigilance. The system assesses the driver’s alertness by identifying trajectory anomalies in relation to road markings using a camera at the top of the windscreen. The feature is especially suited to fast roads over 40mph (65km/h).
- Coffee Break Alert: Tells drivers when it is time to take a break after they have driven for two hours at speeds above 40mph (65km/h).
- Extended Traffic Sign Recognition and Recommendation: Automatically detects and reads certain road signs, including speed limit and end of speed limit signs using the multi-function camera located in the upper part of the windscreen. An image of the detected sign and the authorised maximum speed detected by the camera are displayed on the 3.5-inch colour matrix in the instrument cluster, and on the Head-up Display. The information is updated when a driver passes a speed limit sign and the system also takes the speed limit into account in the navigation system.
- Blind Spot Monitoring System: This system uses lights in the door mirrors to warn the driver if a vehicle is present in a blind spot.
- Distance Alert: This system warns the driver if their vehicle is at risk of colliding with the vehicle in front, or a pedestrian in the road. If the risk of a collision is detected, a sound and visual signal is activated.
- Active Safety Brake: This emergency braking system limits the risk of minor accidents. It operates at speeds above 3mph (5km/h) for stationary and moving objects, and for pedestrians. If the driver does not react, the system brakes automatically.
- Intelligent Beam Headlights: A system that automatically activates the high and low beam function at night depending on the lighting conditions and surrounding traffic.
- Cornering Light Function: This system uses the steering wheel angle when the vehicle is travelling above 25mph (40km/h). The left or right front fog light activates in addition to the main headlamps to illuminate up to a 75° angle to the right or left of the vehicle.
- Keyless Entry and Start: A system that enables the driver to lock, unlock and start the vehicle without using a key. The driver can unlock their vehicle by placing their hand on one of the front door handles.
- Hill Start Assist: To make hill starts easier, this system prevents any undesired vehicle movement on inclines when the brake pedal is released. The function activates on slopes of over 3% by holding the vehicle for two seconds.
- Flankguard: Informs the driver of the proximity of objects to the side of the manoeuvring vehicle by memorising the data recorded by sensors located in the front and rear bumpers, combined with the vehicle trajectory.
- Reversing Camera: Warns drivers of obstacles near the rear of the vehicle via visual and audible feedback.
- Trailer Stability Control: On models equipped with a towbar (factory option), New Citroën Berlingo Van is equipped with a towed-object stabiliser. Supplementing the ESP® system, this function detects any unwanted movement from the trailer. The system stabilises the trailer by working the brakes and, where necessary, reducing engine power to slow the vehicle down. It detects the towed object when its electric connection is hooked up to the vehicle.
- Grip Control® with Hill Descent Assist: Providing grip in all conditions, Grip Control® adapts the traction of the front wheels to the type of road surface. Drivers select one of five modes, Standard, Snow, Mud, Sand or ESP OFF, using the thumbwheel on the central console. Combined with Grip Control®, Hill Descent Assist maintains the van at a reduced speed on steep inclines. The technology keeps the vehicle on the right trajectory, while limiting the risk of slippage or acceleration as the car descends slopes, in forward or reverse gear.
FOUR CONNECTIVITY TECHNOLOGIES
New Citroën Berlingo Van also ensures comfort and well-being through digital continuity on board, so that businesses can stay connected with their customers and colleagues at all times:
- Mirror Screen Function with Android Auto, Apple Car Play™ and MirrorLink®: For using smartphone apps on the 8-inch touchscreen in complete safety.
- 8-inch touchscreen with Citroën Connect Nav: The latest-generation 3D connected navigation system with a host of advantages. Combined with an 8-inch touchscreen requiring the lightest of touches, this system also boasts voice recognition for controlling navigation, phone and media functions without the driver having to take their eyes off the road. The system comes with connected services such as TomTom Traffic, for real-time traffic info, fuel station and car park localisation, weather information, and a local point-of-interest search function.
- Citroën Connect Box with Emergency & Assistance system: This is the brand’s emergency geolocation call and assistance service. In the event of an accident or any other situation that requires urgent assistance, the system calls out the appropriate assistance either automatically or when the user presses the ‘SOS’ button inside the van. Available 24/7, the service is free. For even greater peace-of-mind, customers can also contact the support switchboard by pressing and holding the ‘Double Chevron’ button.
- Wireless Smartphone Charging: This all-new system can be used to induction charge a wide range of smartphones or devices that are compatible with the Qi standard. This uses a charging mat built into a dedicated storage space in the central console. The system eliminates the need for physically and aesthetically troublesome cables. Wireless electric energy transmission is based on the principle of magnetic induction.
This third-generation Berlingo LCV is a dynamic on-road performer and brings businesses true cost efficiencies. Performance has been upgraded through the combination of the new lightweight EMP2 platform and latest-generation fuel-efficient engines with low CO2 emissions.
New Berlingo Van is available with the award-winning PureTech 1.2 petrol and BlueHDi 1.5 diesel engines, which are adapted to use in the city and on the motorway. The engine range respects the environment, delivers exceptional performance and controlled real-life fuel consumption. New Berlingo Van is also equipped with the new-generation EAT8 automatic gearbox for enhanced ease of use over all distances.
ENGINE AND GEARBOX OPTIONS
PureTech 1.2 petrol range:
- PureTech 110 S&S 6-speed manual
- PureTech 130 S&S EAT8 auto (available from second-half of 2019)
BlueHDi 1.5 diesel range:
- BlueHDi 130 S&S 6-speed manual
- BlueHDi 130 S&S EAT8 auto
BlueHDi 1.6 diesel range:
- BlueHDi 75 manual
- BlueHDi 100 S&S manual
Length: 4.40m size M / 4.75m size XL
Width: 2.10m (with door mirrors)
Height: 1.80m to 1.90m (depending on the version)
Load volume: 3.3m3 size M / 3.9m3 size XL.
Load volume with Extenso® Cab: 3.8m3 size M / 4.4m3 size XL
Payload: up to 1,000kg size M / up to 950kg size XL
Usable length: 1.81m size M / 2.16m size XL
Towable weight: up to 1,500kg