On Thursday, June 1, the Northern legal community came together to celebrate the success and achievements across firms and individuals at the third Northern Law Awards, sponsored by NWG Property Solutions.
Hosted by Alfie Joey from BBC Radio Newcastle, this year the event was held at the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead and drew its biggest crowd yet with 350 guests attending.
Claire Westgate, Head of Events at Echo Events, the organisers of the Northern Law Awards, said:
“It brings us real satisfaction to see the legal profession from across the region come together to celebrate their successes and congratulate one another. We have a real strength and wealth of talent here and we were fortunate to be able to bring all of the firms and individuals worthy of recognition into the spotlight on the evening of the awards.”
The 2017 winners are:
- Team of the Year – Private Client – Hay & Kilner
- Team of the Year – Family – Beecham Peacock
- Trainee of the Year – Kimberley Fryer (Irwin Mitchell LLP)
- Team of the Year – Corporate/Commercial – Ward Hadaway – Corporate Team
- Team of the Year – Litigation & Dispute Resolution – Swinburne Maddison LLP
- Team of the Year – Crime/Regulatory – Hay & Kilner
- Pro Bono/Community Initiative Award – Teesside University Law Clinic
- Team of the Year – Employment – Ward Hadaway
- Law Practice Management Award – Scott Garson (Cartmell Shepherd Ltd)
- Team of the Year – Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence – Irwin Mitchell LLP
- Team of the Year – Property – DAC Beachcroft & Jacksons Law Firm
- Rising Star – Young Lawyer of the Year – Emma Crowther (Irwin Mitchell LLP)
- Lawyer of the Year – Judith Archibold (Parkdean Resorts)
- Employer of the Year – TLW Solicitors
- Law Firm of the Year (1-5 Partners) – Collingwood Legal
- Law Firm of the Year (6+ Partners) – Swinburne Maddison LLP
- Outstanding Achievement Award – Toby Hedworth Q.C (Trinity Chambers)
Tonia Reeve, Property Solutions Manager NWG Property Solutions said: “We were delighted to be given the opportunity to be the main partner for the 2017 Northern Law Awards for the third year running. We have seen the event grow and flourish with a higher number of attendees once again.
“The evening had a fantastic friendly ‘feel good’ atmosphere celebrating the great law firms – small and large – of the Northern region, and the passionate, professional and talented people who work within them who give great service to their clients. Many congratulations to every single winner and to all those that took time to take part – a pat on the back to each and every one of you who make a difference in the everyday work that you do.”
The most prestigious award of the evening was the Outstanding Achievement Award, sponsored by Title Sponsor NWG Property Solutions, which was awarded to Toby Hedworth Q.C., Head of Trinity Barristers Chambers. Toby was recognised for his contribution to the region’s legal community, as well as overseeing and inspiring the expansion and diversification of Trinity, making it an outward-looking, vibrant and commercial set that has lost none of its commitment to publicly funded work.
Introducing his ‘hero’ and representing Trinity Chambers, fellow Silk, Nicholas Stonor Q.C. said of Toby: “To his great credit, and to the great benefit of our regional legal community, his reputation for excellence extends nationally. He is a great ambassador for the North East.”
For further details about the Northern Law Awards and all the winners please visit: www.lawawards.co.uk
The awards are organised by Echo Events, a North East based events agency offering event and association management services on a national and international level. For more information, visit www.echoevents.org