Housebuilder, Barratt Homes North East is educating local school children on the steps that can be taken to stay safe whilst on their bikes, in light of Road Safety Week.
- Pupils from Collingwood School and Media Arts College, which is nearby to Barratt Homes’ South Fields development in Stobhill, received a talk from Leslie Gilbert, Road Safety Officer from Northumberland County Council, on the importance of bike safety.
- During the school’s community assembly, Leslie along with Barratt Homes Sales Adviser Grace Ford demonstrated how easy it is for cyclists not to be seen by drivers, particularly during the darker winter months. The children were then invited to try on different types of reflective garments and accessories so they could learn more about how to make themselves visible.
- After donating a bike container to Collingwood School in June, Barratt Homes wished to support the school further. As the mornings and evenings are now darker, the housebuilder organised the talk and gave the pupils their own reflective key rings to attach to their school bags or coats, to help towards them staying safe and visible whilst on their bikes during the winter.
- Road Safety Week takes place between 20th-26th November, run annually by Brake, the road safety charity which aims to encourage communities to promote life-saving messages about road safety.
- South Fields is a development of two, three and four bedroom homes in Morpeth. Only a short distance from the town centre and benefitting from green surroundings and designated playing areas, the development is well suited to young and growing families.
- For more information on South Fields, or to book a viewing, please visit: https://www.barratthomes.co.uk/southfields
Maureen Spence, Business Manager at Collingwood School and Media Arts College, commented: “We were delighted with the assembly that Leslie and Barratt Homes held on bike safety. We want the children to be able to still enjoy their bikes during the winter months, and we’re really pleased that they’ve now been given important tips on how to been seen.”
Paul Race, Sales Manager at Barratt Homes North East’s South Fields development, commented: “We’re always keen to support the communities in which we build, so it was a pleasure to team up with Leslie to educate the pupils at Collingwood School for Road Safety Week. It’s great to know that the bike container has had such a positive impact on the school and that the pupils can use their bikes safely this winter.”