• Wed. Nov 29th, 2023

North East Connected

Hopping Across The North East From Hub To Hub

Darlington businessman in kitchen fire warning

ByCharley Williams

Jan 27, 2017

The owner of a Darlington-based oven valeting service has issued a health warning to homeowners.

According to the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, there were 290 kitchen fires in 2014 and 2015, with 233 caused by cooking appliances.

The research was carried out by Derek Lancaster, owner of Ovenu Darlington, who is warning people about the dangers that cooking appliances could pose following the festive season, when the oven and other cooking appliances were used more often, with the visit of family and friends.

He said: “The figures are very worrying and highlight the need to be more vigilant when using cooking appliances at home. With the visit of family and friends over the Christmas period, and the colder weather, there would have undoubtedly been an increase in the number of cooked meals. Grease and grime, as a result, can build-up and potentially cause an oven fire, not to mention some unpleasant smells if not attended to, and if it is left to fester.

“Human error is just one of the potential causes of a fire in the kitchen or within the home, but in some cases it may be that ageing appliances need to be serviced or given a thorough clean. It is vital that the proper precautions are taken.”

Ovenu Darlington serves homes and businesses in Darlington, Northallerton, Catterick, Richmond, Newton Aycliffe, Bishop Auckland, Barnard Castle and all villages in between.

Derek added: “Hopefully the statistics for 2016 will show a marked improvement from the previous two years, and our dedicated fire servicemen and women won’t have to tackle as many unnecessary domestic fires in the year ahead and beyond.”

For more information about Ovenu Darlington, call 01325 540002 or 01677 427300, email ovenudarlington@gmail.com or you can visit http://www.ovenudarlington.net