• Thu. Feb 29th, 2024

North East Connected

Hopping Across The North East From Hub To Hub

Warning over button batteries

ByEmily

Oct 24, 2016

Following a rise in the number of children admitted to hospital in the UK after swallowing the small metal discs, the council is hoping to raise awareness in North Tyneside.

Its public health and trading standards teams are joining forces to make sure posters are displayed in communities and they’re supporting health professionals to highlight the dangers to families in the borough.

The batteries are commonly found in a range of electrical devices, from toys, key fobs, remote controls to birthday cards,

If swallowed, they can often become lodged in the food pipe where they can burn through tissue and quickly cause a hole, potentially causing life-changing injuries or even death in young children.

Cllr Margaret Hall, cabinet member for Public Health, said: “Although there have been no reported cases in North Tyneside, we want to make sure it stays that way, which is why we’re working hard to highlight the potential dangers to as many families as possible.

“Parents are aware of the impact and dangers swallowing household cleaners can have on children and the accidental swallowing of a button battery should be treated in the same way.

“If your child does swallow one, we’d urge you to seek medical attention straight away.”

By Emily